Most days I hate my hair. It’s curly, hard to manage, sometimes frizzy, I have to straighten it, and then it just gets wavy with the slightest bit of moisture near me. Harsh weather, wind, dry air, putting it up a lot, and straightening my hair gives me some spilt ends dry hair.
I’ve done a couple of store-bought masks but I am trying to stay away from crazy chemicals and products, so I made a hair mask out of things you can find in your kitchen. I couldn’t find any vegan hair mask recipes that did not contain egg or honey and was getting irritated, so I combined a bunch of ideas from numerous recipes I saw. Its natural and way cheaper…which to be honest is probably my real motivation here.
What you will need:
- 1 Ripe banana
- ½ Ripe Avocado
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
1. Peel banana and cut avocado. Dump all ingredients in a blender; blend until it forms a paste-like consistency.
2. Pour hair mask into a bowl or cup for easy use.
3. I put a towel underneath me during application to catch any of the mask I may drop on the floor for easy cleanup. I just started applying it to my hair and my sister later told me it would be easier if I divided my hair into sections (my hair got a little tangled..oops!) so I definitely suggest doing sections of hair at a time.
4. Divide hair into sections. Dip comb or fingers into mask and apply to hair, starting at ends and working up to the scalp. Pay extra attention to ends. Use a wide-tooth comb to comb through hair after to make sure all hair is evenly coated.
5. Put hair in a bun, secure with a clip, or cover with a shower cap. Leave in for 15 – 30 minutes and wash off in the shower with shampoo and conditioner like normal washing.
My hair mask made enough for 2 uses. My sister did not want to try it with me so I put the rest in a ziplock bag and kept it in the fridge. It should last up to a week.